Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Kong

I'm sure similar reviews will pop up on other blogs, but I've got to get my two cents in. Last night I attended a midnight viewing of King Kong. I must say that my expectations weren't all that high because the trailers made the film look like another Hulk, with a big CGI monster ravaging about the screen in a film that is otherwise devoid of content. Despite this feeling I was encouraged by the fact that the movie was 3 hours long, and was directed by Peter Jackson. And let's be honest, what else am I going to do with my time? I knew within the first 20 minutes of the movie that my expectations had been greatly exceeded. I can't praise Jackson enough for realizing that a monster film must be founded on a plot line that is more solid than a marauding beast. I actually think that, with a few modifications, the film could have been very entertaining without King Kong. Jackson's character development was superb. Kong himself was awesome. I really loved that Jackson kept the original time era of the film, rather than falling for the temptation of a modern setting that contributed to the demise of Godzilla. After years of repeated disappointment from Hollywood, I just can't praise this film enough. It is quality, sheer quality. If Hollywood has the intelligence (ha!) to follow this trend, we could be witnessing the beginning of a new golden era of film.

In other news, I began my bowling league last night, and I officially suck. My claim to fame for the evening was that I almost didn't finish in last. For those of you who were curious, we do have a team name: Team Two. Just rolls off of your tongue doesn't it? Overall it was a very fun night, and I'm really looking forward to next week.

No comments: