Sunday, December 18, 2005

Apparently Fox Doesn't Pay So Well.

The betrothed of rover finally returned from her surgical rotation on Friday, and last night we went out to celebrate the end of months of separation. We had a nice dinner at Isaac's, where I was served by the entire cast of "The O.C." and then went to see Narnia. I'll start with my thoughts on Narnia.

The movie was good. The Fiance really liked it, but she's never read the books either. I had some complaints. It just wasn't enough for me. The White Witch wasn't evil enough. Aslan wasn't scary enough. Tumnus wasn't weasely enough. Everything was a bit too easy. I didn't get the feeling that the characters were involved in a grand struggle with epic implications. They didn't take the time to develop the characters and the plot, it was just rushed. Maybe I'm a bit too wrapped up in the allegory of the whole thing, or maybe Kong has me expecting a bit much out of films lately, but I felt that Narnia could have been better. My final complaint about the film was that there was no blood shown (other than a few scrapes and bruises). I realize that the film was geared more towards kids, but come on people! This is a story where Father Christmas gives swords and bows to children and them encourages them to wage war. Eliminating the blood isn't going to change the fact that this is a violent film. I'm not asking for Braveheart here, but any kid who's watched the Discovery Channel knows that a lion's beard turns red after a kill. Anyway, it was a good movie, but it wasn't the awesome I was looking for.

After the movie we decided to go back to my place to hang out for a while. So, as we were watching TV I began to hear two men speaking loudly in the street outside of my apartment. Initially I thought that is was just some drunks walking home from the bar. The thing is that they never left. They just stood outside of my apartment yelling at each other. I then began to think that they might be fighting over a parking space (parking spaces are a delicate issue in my neighborhood). I couldn't really hear what they were saying, and figured that since my TV viewing was being interrupted I might as well know what's going on. As I muted the TV I was treated to the following conversation:

"If you're gonna kill me, then kill me!"

"Where were you man? You were supposed to be my back up, my hook up!"

"I was there man, I was. Look I've got $5,000 in my pocket."

Yeah, that's when I called the cops. Although I was a bit tempted to head out into the street and grab me five grand. The police took the info and informed me that I wasn't the only caller. I hung up and began to peek out of my window like some crotchety old lady, waiting for the troops to arrive. And arrive they did. It was only a minute or two until my street was filled with flashing lights and a voice commanding "GET ON THE GROUND!" Hoodlum #1 was stunned and dropped immediately. #2 tried to run to the North, but was welcomed by the muzzle of a Glock. It really was quite the impressive performance. A total of four officers arrived, completely dominated the situation, established nice contact and cover with the cover officers triangulating fire on both subjects, and had both in handcuffs in less than a minute. I know that doesn't mean much to the casual observer, but it was one nice piece of police work. In the ensuing search of the amazingly large amount of packages and bags that the two had with them the officers must have found something of interest because they loaded the hoodlums up and swept them off to the station. It was the kind of well organized police action that they just don't show on Cops. Strong display, but not use, of force. Good teamwork. I love those guys.

So that was my Saturday night. I'm now averaging two calls to the police a year since moving to this town. It's just great. On another note I've made some changes to my blog links. I deleted some blogs that haven't been updated in months, and added a new one. Catholic Poster Girl is it's name. I discovered it during my worktime ramblings. No, it isn't posters of Catholic school girls, sorry Brechty. It is the blog of a Catholic girl who provides thoughts and opinions on all sorts of topics. Since I felt that we don't have nearly enough disagreements amongst ourselves I threw another one into the mix. Have fun.

No comments: