Sunday, September 10, 2006

Regarding The Matter Which Must Be Addressed


In the fall of 1996 I was a young High School Senior enjoying the rigors of Cross Country running. My coach had a poster on his office wall displaying a red racing car and the name "Michael Schumacher" in bold print. Despite having no knowledge of racing I distinctly remember the poster because my coach and his wife frequently lauded Schumacher as "the greatest driver ever born." In my ignorance I took their word for it.

Fast forward four years. Lounging in my college dorm with nothing to do I found that my remote control had led me to an auto race. A surprisingly familiar red car shot across the screen and the announcer screamed something about "Schumacher." The red car, soon to be identified as a Ferrari, was holding a marginal lead over an ominous looking black and silver car. Behind them there was nothing. 52 seconds of nothing. The third place car was nearly a minute behind as these two masters grappled with each other. Although I didn't know it at the time I had stumbled upon the 2000 Italian Grand Prix and was witnessing a battle that had been raging for months. Michael Schumacher and Mika Hakkinen had been climbing over each other for the Formula One Driver's World Championship, the most coveted title in the most watched sport in the world, since early March. Both driver's had already won the title twice and neither was willing to lose their third to the other. As I said, I didn't know any of this at the time. All I knew is that the mysterious "Schumacher" won the race by three seconds and was so happy that he cried. Hakkinen also looked to be on the verge of tears, albeit for opposite reasons. Most bizarre of all was the third place car that finished 52 seconds back. It was driven by Ralf Schumacher. Michael had gutted his own brother on his way to victory. I was hooked.

In the coming months I went on a Formula One binge. If I wasn't watching the sport I was reading about it. Apparently Schumacher was considered by some to be the greatest driver ever born, and was well on his way to proving it to all doubters. Schumacher won the World Championship in 2000, followed by 2001, 2002, 2003, and 2004. He took me and tens of millions of viewers on a whirlwind ride the likes of which had never been seen before. I learned to eat and sleep Ferrarri red, and cheered as rival after rival fell to the wayside in defeat. I shouted with him in victory and wept with him in defeat. Secretly I prayed that Schumacher's era would never end. But alas, at 9:30 this morning I finally cursed me ears as they delivered the news.

It has been an exceptional time the last thirty years of what motorsport has given to me. I've loved all the good and bad moments and they've made it so special.

With those words Michael Schumacher announced his retirement from racing. Fittingly, the announcement came at the Italian Grand Prix just moments after Michael had clinched his 90th victory. He isn't done quite yet, there are three races remaining in the 2006 season, and Michael is in a strong position to win his 8th championship. However, for me, the racing world will never be the same. Ferrari have announced that Michael will not fully retire, but will take up "another role within the team." In the same breath they announced that Kimi Raikkonen, a driver both Michael and I hold in high regard, would be filling the vacancy in the hopes of keeping the dynasty alive. These statements have given me hope to continue watching the sport, but I ask that you join me in savoring these last few moments of the great man's career.

No comments: