Friday, September 15, 2006

The Bizarreness of My Life Knows No Bounds

For some reason the people I work with have strange relationships with their dogs. One coworker felt that his dog was becoming too aggressive, so he took it to the shooting range and, well, shot it. It didn't survive. Another coworker arrived at work one morning and stated that when he woke up his dog looked "a little sluggish." At 11:30 he took the rest of the day off to have the dog put down. Ok, so these guys border on the far end of "a little off," but they pale in comparison to what I heard today.

About a year ago, in an incident unrelated to the ones listed above, another coworker was advised by his veterinarian that his dog had reached its expiration date, and should be put down in order to save it from undue pain. The coworker refused and kept the dog alive for 8 months. During this time period the dog had days where it would not move, and had long lapses of unconsciousness. When it finally died, my coworker took an entire week off of work to mourn its death. If the dog meant so much to you, why did you torture it to death?

Two months ago, the same coworker's printer stopped working. Last night he finally got it operating again, and it immediately printed out a picture of his, now deceased, dog. A picture that he claims he never took, even though the picture is saved on both his home and work computers. Upon relaying to the story to his neighbor, my coworker was informed that his house emits strange noises in the middle of the day. Coworker's conclusion? He is being haunted by the ghost of his dead dog, and it may want to hurt him. I wonder why it would want to do that?

Imagine that you are in a situation where you believe that the ghost of your dead dog is out to do you harm. How would you handle that? I think I would try to keep it quiet, assuming that people would judge me poorly for those beliefs. My coworker obviously viewed things differently and has told everyone he sees about it. He even went so far as to suggest that the haunting was a type of karma for the time he criticized a female coworker for attempting to contact her miscarried child via a psychic. Initially I thought he was nuts for doing so, but now I see things differently. If not for his bold leadership involving this important issue I would still, to this day, have no idea how to handle a situation of this sort. How could I go through life without his exemplary handling of a canine haunting? I applaud his work and appreciate the life experiences he has shared with us all.

1 comment:

Cavatica said...

What a relief to know how to handle canine haunting. I've been wondering for years!