Saturday, November 26, 2005

Eh?

So it's 9:53, or 2153, according to the enormously huge clock that hangs on my office wall. No, I didn't pick it out. I don't get to pick out much in my office besides my computer wallpaper (which is currently a nice shot of Michael Schumacher in the Belgian GP). The giant clock is essential though. It is linked into a satellite network and is incredibly accurate so that I always know exactly what time it is. What the accuracy has to do with the size is beyond me. Maybe the size is more related to the expense, which was unbelievable for a wall clock, or the fact that they had to drill a hole through my office wall in order to install the antenna. So, now you know that I have an incredibly large, accurate, and expensive clock on my office wall. You also know that I work for the government, the plot thickens. Also, with a little bit of intellect you have probably already figured out that I am extremely bored. After an incredibly enjoyable Thanksgiving Holiday I have found myself back at work on a Saturday night. I had a strong desire to blog, but nothing to really blog about. I recently read some interesting (won't venture as far as to call them "good") articles about homosexuality and Christianity. Wow, I just don't want to get into that. Instead I think I'll bring you up to date on my recent viewings and readings.

Land of the Dead. In a stroke of bizarre luck I got to see Romero's latest masterpiece over the holiday and really enjoyed it. If you can tolerate a healthy dose of gore you really must watch this film. My fellow viewers certainly didn't fall into the "zombie fan" crowd, but enjoyed the film anyway. If you pick it up give me a call and I'll join in the bloodfest.

Citizen Soldiers. Brechty gave me this Ambrose work along with a lump of other books a few months ago. Its really top notch reading for any history buff. It is amazing how the Allies simultaneously did so many things incredibly right and incredibly wrong during the assault on Europe. It is just great reading, and makes me very excited to view the free copy of Band of Brothers that I should be receiving shortly.

Confessions. A few posts ago I dropped you a few tantalizing quotes from St. Augustine. The Confessions is literally littered with them. The work is incredibly modern, amazingly modern when you consider it was written around 400 AD. The story of Augustine's youth could easily be confused with the plot of a Thursday night "O.C." episode. And people say that show isn't realistic.

Romans. I always loved Paul's letters, and admire him for the true intellectual that he his. The guy wasn't wishy-washy, and certainly didn't play games. Yet, could intelligently debate the philosophers of Athens and the Jewish scholars of Jerusalem with time left over to mount an adequate legal defense according to the rules of Rome. Reading this guy's stuff makes me stop and say, "Wow, why can't I be that smart?"

Well, there it is. I've always described my job as "long hours of torturous monotony punctuated by brief moments of extreme terror." Despite being interrupted by a few moments of extreme terror, the big clock now read 2248, and I have 6 minutes until I need to enter the code again. 22 37 14 12? That doesnt't sound right. Crap! Better go find Jack.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should read Citizen Soldier's "prequel", D-Day, also written by Ambrose. It's just one day, but it's still really good. From a fellow history buff and Ambrose fan. Ambrose's Undaunted Courage is really good, too, about the Lewis and Clark expedition.