Sunday, June 11, 2006

I'm Surprising Myself Here.

I've never been a big sports fan. My family was never into sports and I can barely tolerate most of the big American sports. However, a few years ago I fell upon F1 racing and became enamored. Then I got into cycling and started watching the Grand Tours. Finally, in the last year or two I've gotten into soccer, mainly the big European leagues. Given that last fact I guess it isn't surprising that I'm pretty psyched about the current World Cup. I'd be more psyched if Nigeria had made the cut, but have resigned myself to cheer for the USA. I must say that most of the matches so far have been pretty good. The big surprise is that, quite unexpectedly, I have become a sports fan. Between F1, cycling, and football my year is almost totally covered with sporting events to watch. I have discovered the joy of "having the boys over to watch the game." Good times. I have also discovered the joy of sporting participation. I utterly destroyed the will of the entire field in a local cycling event, and have signed up for a mini triathlon of sorts this weekend. Anyway, I've become a sports fan, and for the rest of June at least my appetite will be filled. Here are two tidbits to wet your appetite for the big event in March. Granted, the plot line will be changed a bit, but I will post on that later.

No comments: