Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Eventually We All Realize That We're Dorks.

As much as my income and schedule permit I try to live an exciting life. Sometimes on purpose, sometimes not. I've willingly shared the water with a tiger shark off the coast of Mexico, and not so willingly fought a cobra for the rights to a basketball court in Nigeria. I've frequently been popular with the ladies, and seldom passed on an adventure. I always thought of myself as a pretty hip guy. That misconception came shattering to the ground this past Monday night. I found myself in the smoke-filled back room of a bar that was frighteningly close to the Three Mile Island power plant. I was there to watch a coworker's dart tournament, but quickly found myself more enthralled with the kid in the corner nursing a Miller Lite. He couldn't have been a day over fourteen. The tournament was uninspiring, and was predictably won by the pony-tailed behemoth who had to be on vacation from the WWE. Was he the best player? No, but he was the biggest. As I sat there, I began to realize that the fourteen year old in the corner was not getting the attention that I thought he may have deserved. In fact, most of the attention was directed towards me. I guess my first mistake was the Corona. If it comes from Mexico, is the color of goat urine, and must be consumed with a lime you can assume it will not be welcome at your typical "down home" bar. My next mistake? Not learning from the looks given after the first mistake. By ordering Coronas #2 and #3 I ensured that no one in the room missed noticing my drink of preference. As the room slowly chilled to my presence, my mind began to wander. Eventually my thoughts settled on my home DVD collection. If I left the bar immediately I could still get home in time to watch my newly acquired documentary on Benedict Arnold. That's when it hit me. I am a dork. I could have thrown down a twenty, order shots of Jack all around, and been a local hero by morning. Instead I threw on my jacket and rushed home to watch a video about a guy who died 200 years ago. If my fellow bar goers had only known. I deserved the looks. Not because of the Corona, but because I am a nerd, a tool, a book reader. I hang my head in shame.

4 comments:

matt said...

Another dork for us non-dorks to harass. Yippee!!

Unknown said...

Accept your Dorkness...Embrace it!!!! Join the Dark Side!!! Whoops...said too much there...

Anonymous said...

Well, I am glad you can finnally admit it. And where is this bar that lets underage kids in???? The police should shut that place down...anyway, ill be home the first weekend in March. till then have fun being a dork.

Proteinstar said...

Hold your head high my friend!

High!

A Dork is a grand and mighty title only the greatest may hold claim to!

You have forsaken the easy path, the common, the lumpenproletariat. Now you forge a new road, a new way.

Copeland has envisioned a wonderous anthem for them, one of majesty and high expectations. Yet we, the Dorks, have transcended this egoistic jingle into something far more wonderous. We have left the common man with his common themes and now strive forward towards goals far more fantastic than the most eminent of their base race can attain.

Hold you head high for you have transcended your peers, left this crude framework that ties us to presupposed concepts of cool, which end up as merely imprisioning chains of mediocrity.

You have stepped above this realm of the common man and into that of the Dork.

The transition will not be easy, the road not always clear, let not your heart grow heavy nor your sight dim. For the greatest of visions you soon shall behold...as a Dork.