Thursday, January 12, 2006

Hello My Pretties

My enormously huge office clock now reads 0448, meaning that I am well into hour 13 of my most recent workday marathon. I have attempted to use my time to make a final push to finish off Citizen Soldiers, but my weary mind just can't make sense of the words anymore. I must hand it to Ambrose, it took my over 350 pages to find a point of contention with him. Which may be a record for me. You know, you can call George Patton a lot of things, pompous, jerk, downright strange, but please, please, don't call him chickens*#t. Other than that the book is top notch. You may wonder why I haven't finished the book yet seeing that I've been reading it for months. The answer is that I only read it at work. There are a few benefits to my job (other than the ludicrous holiday pay policy).

Also in the entertainment world, I caught a screening of Munich last weekend. I think that I was looking forward to this movie more than most since I have been a fan of the story ever since I was a young boy sitting on my Baba's knee. You see, while most young red blooded American boys were being raised on tales of famous athletes (I'd list names but I don't know any), I was raised on tales of Churchill, Ben Gurion, and the infamous "Pug" Henry. I was aware of the epic of Munich long before the story met its end in the 1990s (a fact that the film doesn't mention). The film itself was excellent. It further supports my belief that any movie under two hours long just isn't worth your time. Beyond the historical story that I feel had to be told, Munich tells of the personal cost of killing, and does it very well. If you've seen the film, and want to know more about the psychological end of things I highly recommend On Killing by Lt. Col. David Grossman. Anyway, its a great film, very dark, but great.

To top off the evening I will regale you with reports of my feats in bowling. I have reached the end of the season for my league and leave the boards behind as the proud owner of one brand-new bowling ball, and a high score of 94. I am awesome.

No comments: