Thursday, October 13, 2005

A Few Observations

Faithful readers of this blog should be well aware of the rivalry between myself and a certain Mr. Brechty. Recently this rivalry has taken a much more serious, even sinister turn. It now involves food. A wager has been placed on the outcome of a soccer game between my Alma Mater and Brechty's employer. The loser of this wager must buy the other a Thai dinner. In the spirit of this wager, Brechty and I attended a soccer game last night between Messiah College and Lycoming College, not the match that the wager was placed on. The weather was chilly and a bit rainy, perfect for soccer. I knew it would be a good game when Messiah went up 2-0 in the first six minutes. The second half started with the score 5-1, and while Brechty held out hope that Lycoming would grasp victory by capturing the golden snitch, Messiah extended their lead for a 7-1 victory. I must say that I really enjoyed myself and hope to get a few more games in this season.

On my way to the above mentioned soccer game I made the first of my observations. PennDot workers are really under rated. It is a common belief here in central PA that PennDot workers do nothing but stand around. I now believe that this assumption is not totally correct. PennDot workers put a lot of effort into appearing to work. As we drove through a construction zone I commented on how much work was being done. It appeared to be quite the busy work zone. There were trucks with flashing lights, a crane lifting equipment, and a group of workers huddled around construction plans. I was impressed, but then I looked closer. The crane wasn't actually lifting the equipment, rather the equipment was hanging there while two workers stood beside it talking. The trucks did have flashing lights, but weren't actually moving. In fact, I couldn't actually see what the group was huddled around. It assumed it was construction plans, but it easily could have been a GameBoy. So the next time you cruise through a construction zone, don't curse the workers for their incompetence, take a closer look and admire them for the masters of misdirection and deception that they truly are.

Observation #2 is less observation than complaint. Have you ever known someone who can't/won't admit when they are wrong. It absolutely infuriates me. I work with a person who refuses to admit a mistake even if the evidence of it is presented directly to them, and it drives me insane. I don't understand what the big deal is. Humans make mistakes, sometimes we don't know things, and that's ok. I am willing to admit when I'm wrong. Take the time I said that "Kentucky Fried Chicken" changed their name to "KFC" because the food they were serving no longer met the legal definition of "chicken." That was wrong. Or the time I threw a rubber frog at a passing car while waiting at the bus stop. Also wrong. See, it isn't hard!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Brilliant post! I had forgotten about that rumor about KFC --- oh, what's the zombie website again?

Nathan Hackman said...

www.urbandead.com