Friday, August 12, 2005

An Event of Interest.

I have returned from vacation, but I will not regale you with tales of swimming with stingrays, or the not quite invention of Beach Croquet. Indeed an even greater event has caught my attention. Today I went on a bike ride. It wasn't really meant to be anything special, just a ride along my normal fitness route. You can imagine how astounded I was when I passed a large sign for the Falmouth Goat Races! It appears that the village of Falmouth (Lancaster County) annually holds a goat race to raise funds for community events. This year the race will be held on September 24, and I have every intention of attending, if not participating. Initially I didn't think that I could participate as one of my landlord's few pet restrictions is against goats, but it appears that organizers have some goats available to rent for the day. How considerate! I attempted to find some pictures, or a web page about the races to share with you, but there isn't much info about them online. I did however find a web page for a similar event held annually in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. They look a bit more elaborate than what I expect the Falmouth races to be, but who knows? On a side note, the Dar es Salaam site led my to discover Blue Mango, a site with some exceptional African photography that I will add to my links. Beyond that, vacation was quite nice. I did actually swim with stingrays and almost invented Beach Croquet, until I returned home to find that it had already been invented under the guise of Toequet. Guess I'll have to go on working for a living.

1 comment:

Nathan Hackman said...

I actually though about the fainting goat thing, but think I'll go for a pigmy instead. As far as riding it goes. I paid my money I'll ride it if I want to!!