Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Christmas Review

Although I still have one family gathering pending, I have decided to officially declare my Christmas season over. My official Christmas motto for the year was "Christmas is going to be awesome this year. Why? Because its awesome every year!" This year didn't disappoint. I was able to get some really good family time in with my side and Roverine's. Food was piled as far as the eye could see and presents fell from the sky like paratroopers in Market Garden. The highlights of the gift receiving were a pocket watch, a torque wrench, and a first edition copy of Through Gates of Splendor. But none of that really describes how great the holiday was this year. It was almost good beyond belief. On Christmas day I got the whole family to agree to a viewing of Bridge on the River Kwai(also a gift). That sort of holiday magic only happens once in a decade!

However, it must be said that there were a few low points. The first being Christmas Eve when I was convinced to go to Catholic Mass. I don't really know much about the Mass, but isn't it supposed to be a celebration? It seemed to me like it was more of a "Well, if I have to." sort of thing. I'll be the first to admit that I have been through my share of bad Protestant services in my life, but this service was not only boring, it was strangled by bizarre, and apparently meaningless, traditions and performances. Needless to say, I won't be converting anytime soon. The second low point was one of my extended family gatherings that occurred this past Sunday. There wasn't anything explicitly bad about it, I just didn't get to spend enough time with all of the people that I would have liked to. We get together again this summer, so I'll have to give it another shot then.

Some of you may not have had the wonderful holiday experience that I did, and are wondering how you can improve things in the future. The answer is simple. Preparation. You need to set the tone early. This year I chose to officially start the season by reading Dicken's A Christmas Carol. I highly recommend it to get you in the mood, and you can easily burn through it in a few hours. After the mood has been set, you need to decide on a gift buying strategy. Using the old gift checklist each year turns gift buying into a repetitive chore. Shake things up! My strategy this year focues on spontanaiety and collaboration. Whenever possible I collaborated with other family members to get people larger gifts than they otherwise would have gotten. when those options were depleted I switched to the spontaneous method. I went to my local shopping center, got a cup of coffee, and began to roam. When using this method, don't select stores that you think would have good items for your intended recipients. Just relax and go with the flow. This method scored me a nice painting for Roverine and a board game for proteinstar. Neither of them were at stores that I normally would have checked.

Anyway, at the end of the dayit was a great Christmas. I look forward to next year.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel about not being able to talk to everyone at the family Christmas gathering on Sunday. But it's a challenge now that we have 45 people in the family. And we'll have at least 49 by next Christmas, maybe even by the summer gathering.

matt said...

HYPOCRITE!!!

You just spent a lot of words talking about Christmas and not even once talked about Jesus' birth.

And that was AFTER y0ou gave me crap for my blog post. What is up with that. Whole crap!!

Take your judgmentalism elsewhere.




Anyway, glad you had a good Christmas. I missed seeing y'all. And go Liverpool. (Feb 20)

Cavatica said...

The extended family Christmas is, well... BIG. Rich says it's a true reunion now, not a simple family gathering like it once was. To me it is a lively mass of brief hellos, but there's no time or attention for connection.